This is a "goat cheese in phylo pocket" recipe that I conjured up ca. 2002.
- Preparation time: 45 minutes
- Baking time: 4 minutes
- 1 roll of goat cheese ("chèvre")
- Don't buy creamy fresh/young goat cheese - it lacks flavor. Don't use aged goat cheese either - it is too dry.
- Sheets of phylo dough
- Alternatively: use brick dough (also "brik" or "boerek"; F: feuilles de brick)
- I prefer orange blossom
- 1/2 cup of nuts (pine nuts, coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Minced garlic
- Butter, melted
EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
- Kitchen twine/string (butchers' twine)
- Non-stick baking/cookie sheet
- Kitchen scissors
PREPARATION / DIRECTIONS
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 °C (350 °F
- Toast the nuts in the frying pan (no oil or butter added!) until
- Butter the dough
- If using phylo dough: melt butter, lightly brush a sheet of dough with it, put next sheet on top, brush with melted butter, etc, until you have a stack of 4 buttered sheets. If using brick dough sheets: just use one sheet per pocket, lightly brush with melted butter
- Put a 1-2 cm (½-¾") thick slice of goat cheese in the middle of each stack of phylo sheets or each brick dough sheet
- Put several toasted pine nuts and/or several chunks of roasted pecans and/or walnuts on top
- Drizzle honey over it and spread some minced garlic over it
- Make a pocket:
- Method 1: fold the dough up around the cheese + toppings, and pinch just above it to form a pocket; secure with twine where pinched, and trim about 1 inch (2-3 cm) above the string.
- Method 2: fold one corner across the cheese, fold an adjacent corner across the top, roll the cheese over towards the next adjacent corner, wrap the remaining corner around it.
- Just before baking: heat in microwave oven for 10-20 seconds
- Bake on the cookie sheet until golden brown - with brick dough, this only takes 2-4 minutes!!!
- After baking, cut off the "tail" of each pocket, just below the string, with sharp scissors
©2002-2016 F. Dörenberg, unless stated otherwise. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be used without permission from the author.