- Preparation time: 50 minutes
- Makes 4-6 main-course servings or 8 starter/side-dish/appetizer servings
- Best when made 1 days ahead (but don't add the toasted almonds until just before serving)
- Ingredients for the salad:
- 500 grams (1+ lb ; 2 cups) chicken or turkey filet, cleaned (tendons, membranes, and fat removed)
- 125 grams (6 or 7 ; 4-5 oz , 3/4 cups) water chestnuts (F: chataignes d'eau, D: Wasserkastanien), drained
- 500 grams (1+ lbs) seedless green grapes, washed
- 125 grams (1 cup) finely diced celery stalks
- As always, use a paring knife or vegetable peeler to remove the stringy fibers on the outside of the ribs of the stalks before dicing
- 90 grams (1 cup) thinly sliced almonds
- 400 grams (2 cups) drained pineapple chunks
- Weight is after draining and squeezing excess juice out of the chunks
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- 120 grams (1/2 cup ; small jar) plain mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder ("hot" curry powder if you like)
- 1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce
- I use "light" soy sauce: "regular" Kikkoman-style soy sauce is loaded with salt!
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
- Large frying pan
- Some vegetable oil for frying the meat
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
PREPARATION / DIRECTIONS
- Cut the turkey or chicken into pieces of at least 1 cm (≈1/2 inch) in size - if you make them smaller, the meat will become too dry when fried.
- Heat some oil in the frying pan and fry the meat chunks until browned on all side; let cool.
- If the pan is too small (some meat chunks do not touch the bottom of the pan) or not hot enough, you will boil the meat instead of frying it!
- Pad the water chestnuts dry and slice them up
- Put the fried meat chunks, water chestnuts, grapes, pineapple, and celery in a large bowl and toss
- In the small bowl, make the dressing: mix the mayo, curry powder, soy sauce, and the lemon juice
- Pour the dressing onto the meat & fruit and mix
- Make sure all the meat & fruit is coated with the dressing.
- Slowly dry-toast the almonds in the frying pan until golden
- Do not add butter or oil!
- Stir and/or toss regularly
- Just before serving, sprinkle the toasted almonds on top of the salad and toss
- Perfect for a summer party or picnic. Make sure to refrigerate a couple of hours prior to serving
- The curry-mayo dressing is also great for dipping raw veggies (incl. hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes)
©1994-2016 F. Dörenberg, unless stated otherwise. All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this publication may be used without permission from the author.